The Absolute Value of Mr. C!

Paulo Castanheria , a Special Education Math teacher at METS

Lavar Posey, Profile Interviewer

The Metronome Profile Interviewing team had a chance to sit down with Mr. Castanheira to talk about what it takes to teach mathematics, teach at METS, and what it takes to be a Special Education teacher.  Mr. Castanheira works tirelessly to provide every student with the support they need to overcome obstacles in Mathematics.  

The Metronome:  Can you please state your name for the Metronome?

Mr. Castanheira:  Paulo Castanheira.

The Metronome:  What convinced you to become a Math Teacher?

Mr. Castanheira: I was always good at math in high school.  Usually, I helped my fellow students in class because a teacher didn’t understand the lesson.  Then, the teacher I frequently helped told me I should become a teacher so I did.

The Metronome:  Where did you study? What college or university did you go to?

Mr. Castanheira: I went to Kean University to get my Bachelor’s Degree. Then, I went back to get my masters.

The Metronome: As a math teacher, what is the hardest part of your job?

Mr. Castanheira: Relating the material to every students’ interests is difficult.

The Metronome: What certificates do you need to become a math teacher?

Mr. Castanheira: You need your bachelors degree and you need to take the Praxis test to get your math certification.

The Metronome:  How do you deal with a difficult student who is underperforming?

Mr. Castanheira: I would try to have conversation with the student but, if it gets out of hand, I would talk with the parent of the child.  If that does not work, the dean might get involved.

The Metronome:  What do you enjoy most about teaching mathematics?

Mr. Castanheira:  When students understand a lesson, I enjoy greeting them with a special treat.

The Metronome:  What is your teaching philosophy?

Mr. Castanheira:  In the beginning, students should study a broad variety of topics.   Toward the end of your studies, decide on your career choices.

The Metronome:  How do you assess students?  What type of feedback do you provide?

Mr. Castanheira:  On assignments, I like to correct them to tell my students what they have done wrong so, can help them get it correct the next time.

The Metronome:  What are your instructional strengths and weaknesses?

Mr. Castanheira:  Knowledge of content is my strength and time management is my weakness.

The Metronome:  What is your teaching style?

Mr. Castanheira:  I provide direct instruction most of the time followed by student practice with individual instruction one at a time.

The Metronome:  How do you teach and help students who are lower leveled learners?

Mr. Castanheira:  Struggling learners require support, extra time to go over a topic several times, and not moving on until they truly understand the full concept.

The Metronome would like to thank Mr. Castanheira for taking the time out of his busy day to sit down with us.  After speaking with him, our profile interview team really has new insight into the hard work it takes to help students struggling to master mathematics.  We thank you, Mr. Castanheira.