Ms. Georges Stands Out & Speaks Up!

"Trust your gut!"

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ms. Georges Stands Out & Speaks Up!

Ms. Andrea Georges keeps her  English classes high energy to engage her students.

Ms. Andrea Georges keeps her English classes high energy to engage her students.

Darice Moore, Profile Interviewer

For our African-American History interview, The Metronome decided to interview Ms. Andrea Georges. If you haven’t had her class, Ms. Georges has been an English teacher here at Mets Charter School for the last two years. The Metronome chose to interview Ms. Georges because she obviously loves her job and really appreciates her students.  Many of her English students have really responded to her patient, out-going, and engaging classes that grab her students’ attention before she guides them through a high energy and interesting celebration of Ms. Georges’ love for the written word.

The Metronome:  How would you describe this school?

Andrea Georges:  “This school does need a lot of work, but these kids are possibly the best kids I’ve ever met. They make do with what little they have and still have a good time.”

The Metronome:  What do you like to do outside of work?

Andrea Georges:  “I work out a lot. In fact, I am a trained yoga teacher.”

The Metronome: What do you find most enjoyable about teaching?

Andrea Georges: “The students. They’re the best! They’re my favorite.”

The Metronome:  What parts of your job do you find most challenging?

Andrea Georges:  “Grading and creating lesson plans.”

The Metronome:  Where did you get your degree?

Andrea Georges:  “I got my BA and my Masters degrees at Montclair State university.  Later, I earned my second Master’s from NYU in Manhattan.”

The Metronome:  What made you become a teacher?

Andrea Georges: “My freshman year of college, I went to South Africa and I taught little Kindergarten students how to read.  From there, I fell in love with teaching.”

The Metronome:  How much did you have to pay for college?

Andrea Georges:  My tuition was covered but, I had to pay for room and board. For graduate school, I had a scholarship for 75% of the cost.”

The Metronome:  What is a typical workday like for you?

Andrea Georges:  “HECTIC! Everyday is a different day and everyday is a different challenge.”

The Metronome:  How long do you plan on teaching?

Andrea Georges:  “About five more years.”

The Metronome:  How do you usually spend your summer vacations?

Andrea Georges:  “I read a lot of books and I travel a lot. This summer, I will be travelling across America.”

The Metronome:  If you were to hit the lottery, would you give up teaching?

Andrea Georges:  “YES! Who wouldn’t? If I hit the lottery, I would give up everything.”

The Metronome:  What are some first day superstitions that you have for every new school year?

Andrea Georges: “Never smile before December. Don’t let the students know that you’re nice.”

The Metronome would like to thank Ms. Georges for taking the time out of her day for her students and sharing her thoughts on METS.