The Metronome Takes the Temperature for a Future in Nursing

A Profile in Nursing With RN Erin Salmond

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lavar English, Profile Interviewer

Many students at METS have plans and goals for futures in the medical field. Nurses and doctors have advice for students who are interested in working at Jersey City Medical Center. Students at METS should consider internships, part time positions, or full time employment at Jersey City Medical center.

This reporter had a chance to sit down with Nurse Salmond to get information on what she does and what it takes to be a nurse at Jersey City Medical Center.                                         

The Metronome:  Please state your full name for the Metronome.

“Erin A. Salmond.”

The Metronome: Where did you study Nursing? Which college or university?

“I studied nursing at a BSN program for Felician College, New York State.”

The Metronome: How long have you been working for Jersey City Medical Center?

“Not that long. I have been working there for two years in a half.”

The Metronome: Do you have any advice for students interested in becoming nurses?

“Just do well in school.  Maintain the highest possible GPA you can while taking necessary preparatory classes.”

The Metronome: Did you always wanted to be a Nurse?  As a child did you want to be a Nurse?

“Yes, I always wanted to be a nurse. It was like a dream to me as a child.”

The Metronome: What do you find difficult about the profession? What would you change?

“What I found difficult in the beginning was that Nurses have to maintain medical encyclopedic knowledge and that requires a stellar memory.”

The Metronome: What qualities do all great nurses need to succeed?

“Communication Skills. Solid communication skills are a basic foundation for any career. Emotional Stability is the second most important quality for a nurse. Nursing is a stressful job where traumatic situations are common.  It also takes Empathy, Flexibility, Attention to Detail, Interpersonal Skills, Physical Endurance, and Problem Solving Skills.”

The Metronome: How many years does it take to become a Nurse Practitioner?

“The 4-year degree must be in nursing at a minimum. After earning your BSN, you’ll need to complete a master’s degree program that trains nurse practitioners. These are called Nurse Practitioner (NP) degrees. NP degrees can take 2 to 4 years.”

The Metronome: Do you get along well with other Nurses and Doctors?

“I get along with a other nurses and doctors really well in other circumstances.”

The Metronome: What is the average salary of a Nurse Practitioner?

“Nurse practitioners in the top 10% earned an average salary of $135,830 as of 2015. The median salary among nurse practitioners was $98,190.”

The Metronome: Is it difficult to balance having a family and a Career?

“It’s not difficult when you balance your money right and save up from what’s important.”

The Metronome: Is there any specific advice you would give me before pursuing my future in medicine?

“All I have to say to you is that just keep working to achieve your goal, whatever you want to be. It doesn’t matter what obstacles come into your way.  It’s important to never give up.”