Homeroom Door Decorations: Black History Month winners!

Rooms 307 and 207 wins METS awards for decoration for Black History Month

Photo by Mr. Shallcross
Winner, best Middle School homeroom door: Ms. Ordonez’ homeroom, Room 308: Muhammad Ali

Congratulations to the winners of the Black History Month homeroom door competition! The METronome has interviewed those who have worked really hard on their classroom doors, making posters and boards to spice up their doors. The winners:

MIDDLE SCHOOL
Winner: Ms. Ordonez, Room 308: Muhammed Ali
HONORABLE MENTION:
Ms. Bouchard, Room 302, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Ms. Borg, Room 311, Julius Irving

HIGH SCHOOL
Winner: Mr. Schau, Room 207: Count Basie
HONORABLE MENTION
Mr. Schmerler, Room 302, Michael Jordan
Mr. Messenger, Room 309, Walter Payton

Ms. Ordonez, Room 308: Ms.Ordonez’s middle schoolers were assigned Muhammad Ali.  Ms. Ordonez was the one who came up with the idea to choose him for their door as the class talked about his achievements as a boxer. They discussed the symbols for boxing and the face of Muhammad Ali. All of the students in the class helped out with the door and the door was made as a collage. He was chosen due to his contribution to not only the country, but the world. See the photo of the winning door in our photo gallery, above.

Photo by Mr. Shallcross
Winner, best high school homeroom door. Mr. Schau’s homeroom, Room 207: Count Basie.

Mr. Schau, Room 207:  Mr. Schau’s high schoolers came up with the idea to honor musician Count Basie. Count Basie was an American jazz pianist. When reporters came to class, they learned that students Ana Capellan and Rosemarie Rosado were the main contributors for their outstanding door.

Ms. Bouchard, 301: Ms. Bouchard’s middle schoolers truly outdid themselves with their door. Students Moises Valdez, Tai Green, Ricardo Capellan, and Ismael Amaya, along with others, contributed to the door to make it outstanding. Who was their door honoring, exactly? It was no one other than basketball player Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

TheMETronome congratulates all the winners and would like to thank everyone who contributed to the door decorating contest. Truly, every door was a winner in its own way.

Photo by Mr. Shallcross
Mr. Messenger’s homeroom, Room 306: Walter Payton

Photo by Mr. Shallcross

Photo by Mr. Shallcross
Ms. Borg’s homeroom, Room 311: Magic Johnson

Photo by Mr. Shallcross

Photo by Mr. Shallcross
Mr. Schmerler’s homeroom door, Room 302: Michael Jordan

Photo by Mr. Shallcross
Ms. Bouchard’s homeroom door, Room 301: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar